Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

A friend is going to let me borrow his propane torch.  I figure I'd do the old lock two nuts together trick and try rocking the bolt back and forth with my wrench while applying PB Blaster and heat.  I saw one guy who said if you keep heating the area and spray cool water on the bolt, it should break free eventually.  He said you will probably have to rinse and repeat more than once.  Of course, I've broken bolts off before and once I removed the part, I was able to turn the rest out by hand.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:04 PM, Kevin said:

I thought I'd go ahead and take out the intake manifold bolts.  I had great success taking 9 of them out.  The one in front on each side broke.  Comparing the broken length to the other bolts, the rest should be sticking ouf of the engine block.  The very back one on the passenger side was broken already.  That broken bolt is shorter than the other two, so there's even more of it sticking up out of the engine block.  I'm going to wait until Saturday to pull the manifold so a buddy can help me with the lifting.  I'm hoping a little PB Blaster will do the trick.  If not, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to do a Gen 3 Hemi swap. 😉

I finally got those 3 broken intake manifold bolts out with help and the moral support of my good friend Ronnie.  I wasn't able to get a nut on any of them because of the angle of the cylinder heads. The first one (passenger front) took us an hour to get it to move.  We soaked it with PB blaster, tapped on it, and heated around it with a torch.  The second one (driver front) took about 30 minutes.  The third one (passenger rear) took only about 10 minutes.  I feel like I've been beaten.  The intake manifold pulled right off.  You could see that the gasket pooched out in 6 places between bolts.   I pulled the plenum plate off and saw the whole inside of the intake is covered in oil.

IMG_4448.thumb.JPG.b3838324e8a5cae4be7e77bbedf0e0f5.JPG

I can't believe the truck's engine never ran hot after seeing this thermostat.  It ran as cool 3 weeks ago as it did when it was brand new.

IMG_4446.JPG

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

Before anybody gives me grief about the thermostat...there is a spring they put in the lower radiator hose at the factory.  It is there to keep the hose from collapsing before the thermostat opens.  When I flushed the coolant system last time, it was a little rusted, but I left it in place.  I've been told that I should have taken it out because they will rust bad enough that pieces will accumulate on the thermostat.  The truck was running factory cool, so I didn't realize anything was up.

11 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Want random?   My family helped a new friend with a hog killin'.  My son is the outdoorsman, so he was the big help.  As with all "do it yourself" work, it's easier said than done, and "next time" will be easier.

My 1st cuz moved to africa this year. He travels around drilling water wells. at one of these remote villages he decided to buy them a hog. Little did he know that tradition says he bought it so he had to kill it. They gave him a small dull pocket knife. HOURS later, he regretted his decision

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have just about gotten everything ready to put back together.  I still have to do a once over on the gasket surfaces and clean the bolt holes out.  You wouldn't believe what oven cleaner will do to stubborn intake manifold gaskets.  They sliced off like hot butter after leaving oven cleaner on them overnight with a new razor blade.  It didn't do as well on the aluminum intake manifold.  I still had to use elbow grease.  I'm hoping this aluminum plenum plate does the trick and I never have to do this job again.  If I'd known what I know now, I think I may have taken it somewhere and let them do it.

I think I’ve lost my mind…

Torn between:

Tesla Model 3 Performance (me because it’s faster)

Tesla Model Y Performance (my wife wants to sit up high)

Ford Lightning (My wife’s #1 choice and I like it)

And for the lost my mind choice…. Ford Raptor or Raptor R (R I’d trade my F150 in on it)

What would you get?

7 minutes ago, Tino said:

What yall think, too good to be any good?

https://mmispeedshop.com/products/complete-turbo-kit-silverado-sierra-new-turbocharger-vortec-v8-ls-4-8-5-3-6-0-62

I want to try the turbo life. I like my nitrous but I'm having hard time to get bottles filled

DO IT!   Beat Disney at his own game!  🙂 

(More fuel...how?  Injectors and programming??)

Edited by Ashley P
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1