Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

I looked at a 2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 this morning. He is asking $4500 and dropped it to $4250 before I left.  It only has 2600 + miles on it.  It looks to be well taken care of and sounded great.  The guy added hand guards, heated grips, power port/clock/USB charger, center stand, luggage case, and a taller windshield.  He also used some spray on Plastidip to paint the fairng panels green.  The original color is red.  I really liked the look of the bike.  I could flat foot it sitting on the bike.  I didn't ride it since he said I could only if I had cash in hand.  From all things I read and watch, these bikes are super reliable and don't have any issues.  I think it would be a great bike for the dirt/gravel/chert roads I plan to ride with the occasional easy trail.  It will do 80 mph if I were to need to get on the interstate. I'm not looking to do hard core trail riding or fast highway riding.

I looked at a brand new leftover 2022 Kawasaki KLR 650.  It is marked down $1800 to $4899.  After freight, assembly, doc fees, etc. it runs up to over $7300 plus tax.  It seemed very top heavy and I couldn't flat floot it.  It just seemed huge.  They have a couple common issues, but are known to be reliable.  They aren't very powerful and struggle on the highway.  I didn't realize how many fees they tack onto the price.  I don't think I'll be buying brand new.

I have ruled out the Kawasaki KLX300 and the Honda CRF300L.  They aren't very good road bikes and are overkill for what I need off road.  I would never use either to their potential.  They are also kinda hard to find.  They will also run $5500 plus fees new and people ask new prices for them used.  I'd still consider the Royal Enfield Himalayan for the right price.

• Like 2

Just saying, a 300cc on the highways isn’t going to be much power.

People get mad and act like they want to run you over now if your too slow and in their way. 

They’re impatient and all these new cars take of pretty quick now, so that doesn’t help. 

You probably won’t understand what I’m talking about until you actually get a bike and actually ride it on the road. 

But I always wanted the power to get away from a road rager and that is from a actual bad experience. 

I might ride on the interstate every once in a while and that would be from one exit to another.  I would never feel comfortable riding the interstate in Nashville.  I think anything too big would be overkill for me.  A 300cc bike would handle state highways easy.  The back roads around where I live, 300cc would be overkill.

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

I might ride on the interstate every once in a while and that would be from one exit to another.  I would never feel comfortable riding the interstate in Nashville.  I think anything too big would be overkill for me.  A 300cc bike would handle state highways easy.  The back roads around where I live, 300cc would be overkill.

To me, overkill is a safety margin.

Been there, done that and got the road rash helmet, boosts, jeans and leather jacket to prove it.

Probably 1990 in the spring, I was going down Central Pike toward the Wilson County line on a street legal Yamaha DT. I was probably 13 years old. Got the bike when I was 12 and it was a 1989 model.

Guy got mad I was in his way and couldn’t go as fast as he wanted to be going. So he decided to keep accelerating as close to my back tire as he could get.

I had to take a neighborhood entrance to keep from being sandwiched between a 70’s Cadillac and a 1990 Z24 Cavalier that was on my tire.

The Caddy was stopped fixing to turn left, the Z24 was running up as close to my back tire as he could get. Top speed on the Yamaha DT was 50mph at redline. I was pegged at 50. Z24 driver was concentrating on me so much when he realized the caddy was in the way, he locked up the brakes trying to stop, the caddy made the left same time as me because he seen us coming. I hit the caddy drivers side and went down. The Z24 peeled out and left the scene. They had to get the bike off me. My leg was hurt, I was bruised and a few scrapes, but ok. My friends Dad had to come get me, the bike and get me home.

Caddy guy was super nice. Dual sport knobby tire left a black circular tire mark. Old 70’s steel didn’t dent. He told me he’d buff it out that everything was cool.

So hindsight, I buy bikes I can get out of the way on. The Fatboy needs mods to do that, but the CBR’s I’ve had could smoke the nutty drivers. 

The fatboy isn’t fun at high speeds, especially on a windy day.

If you think you’ll be safe on a 300cc, I trust your judgment. Maybe there are less nuts in your town than mine.

I have finally decided on a bike.  I am buying the 2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300.  I guess I'm putting the cart before the horse considering I don't have a license or a helmet yet.  😄  I'm going to buy some riding gear before I do anything.  There's also a $250 two day riding course I plan to take.  After taking the class (and passing), you take the certificate to the driver's license testing center, pay the fee, and get your motorcycle endorsement.  Along with the previously mentioned mods to the bike, the guy swapped the front sprocket.  It increases the max speed to 85-90 mph and adds around 2 mpg.  I feel like the bike will have more than enough power and top end for me.  I'm sure it is faster all around than my daily driver.  I'm just excited about getting out and exploring the county roads and riding with a couple people I know.

• Like 3

3.5 ecoboost suck and Jenkins & wynn ford dealer in clarksville suck even more. 30k miles ago I paid them to replace the timing crap along with the water pump($3,500). fast forward to now, water pump has failed and they want to charge me $2k to replace it....again. Not to mention, i've bought a $70k truck from them after the first replacement. I'm out, thats my last Ford.

19 hours ago, mstrpth said:

3.5 ecoboost suck and Jenkins & wynn ford dealer in clarksville suck even more. 30k miles ago I paid them to replace the timing crap along with the water pump($3,500). fast forward to now, water pump has failed and they want to charge me $2k to replace it....again. Not to mention, i've bought a $70k truck from them after the first replacement. I'm out, thats my last Ford.

WP replacement should be more like $400, right?   Those aren't too hard....

Here it is.  I think I'm going to peel the green Plasti-dip paint off.  It is red underneath.  I don't care for his stickers.  I've ridden it around the block a few times today and it rides really nice.  It has enough power for me.IMG_4599.thumb.JPG.ce39fb9b5029f2c482a68b7a76425f3f.JPGIMG_4600.thumb.JPG.b3df1bcd1e023a7c652dea56512b140e.JPGIMG_4602.thumb.JPG.24a445c558b6bf0c6456af94030dc5eb.JPGIMG_4605.thumb.JPG.92e335b328316b021b0cf9f0e89ec2aa.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Here it is.  I think I'm going to peel the green Plasti-dip paint off.  It is red underneath.  I don't care for his stickers.  I've ridden it around the block a few times today and it rides really nice.  It has enough power for me.IMG_4599.thumb.JPG.ce39fb9b5029f2c482a68b7a76425f3f.JPGIMG_4600.thumb.JPG.b3df1bcd1e023a7c652dea56512b140e.JPGIMG_4602.thumb.JPG.24a445c558b6bf0c6456af94030dc5eb.JPGIMG_4605.thumb.JPG.92e335b328316b021b0cf9f0e89ec2aa.JPG

Nice bike! One thing I would do is get rid of the RAM phone mount and get one made by Quad Lock. Had issues with my phone wanting to try and lift up in the mount.