Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

I passed my motorcycle safety class this past weekend.  I didn't learn as much as I thought I would,  but it was still a good course to take.  You also get a discount on your insurance and a certificate that gets your license.  I hope I can get my motorcycle endorsement on my license this week.  I also need to register and insure my bike.

I enjoyed the class except for this rude and annoying know-it-all girl who failed the class.  Another lady almost killed herself.  She accidentally let the clutch out during a drill and gave it the "whisky throttle".  I believe running into the chain link fence saved her life.  She had to be going 15+ mph.  If she'd have been facing the other direction, she'd have hit the school building.  Two guys had never ridden a motorcycle in their lives and passed with flying colors.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2023 at 2:05 PM, mstrpth said:

It is a 5.3. slow and sluggish! EV is not for me. Charge times are just too long. I want to know i can go at a moments notice.

I don't have anything against them, just not for me. I live to far in the middle of nowhere

Do you not sleep and do you drive more than 300 miles a day?

If you sleep, that's when you charge at home so charge time does not matter! 🙂

If you don't drive more than the max charge/miles a day, then range and charge time do not effect you.

I drive 100 to 150 miles a day at most. I've rarely seen les than 60% charge when I got back home to recharge.

Always plug up when the car is parked and set it to charge before you leave.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Do you not sleep and do you drive more than 300 miles a day?

If you sleep, that's when you charge at home so charge time does not matter! 🙂

If you don't drive more than the max charge/miles a day, then range and charge time do not effect you.

I drive 100 to 150 miles a day at most. I've rarely seen les than 60% charge when I got back home to recharge.

Always plug up when the car is parked and set it to charge before you leave.

I'm +- 200 miles/day. And can be called in 24/7. And thats just work related. That in itself is too close for me. I can buy fuel anywhere at almost anytime. 

As i said, nothing against them, just not there yet for me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Want some drama?

This afternoon I was 1/2 dozing and heard a faint siren.   Looking at the highway I see cars parked everywhere, my oldest son's truck in the road ditch. ??? !!!!    I ran barefoot near the road to find his truck perfectly fine, but two vehicles wadded up on the other side of the road, my son helping attend to people.  

It was about a 2010  Ram head on versus some SUV and the SUV was on its passenger side.   There were about 15 bystanders providing help.  Turns out one son had come into the house to get the kitchen extinguisher for someone to put out a small fire, while the oldest son helped break glass and pull broken people out.   He saw two people breathe their last.

The Ram driver died.  He'd been heading toward McMinnville TN with two other vehicles, one was an old RV driven by his brother, the other a truck driven by that brother's wife.

They were on scene shortly after the man died, and as that brother knelt and mourned his dead brother, there was my son knelt down with him with his hand on his shoulder.    *I've gotta wipe my eyes*

My son described a little about what he did, trying to tear through the front windshield to access two people in the SUV.  His hands were cut up from the glass, but he'd not realized anything at the time.  I told him how in a panic a body can do stuff, and he did good, but remember to slow down to think. 

On a different note, I've watched plenty of bad cop videos.  I watched a few stupid parking jobs by LEOs, one blocked my drive as an ambulance needed to back in to turn around.   I kindly notified that deputy a minute before the ambulance moved, but he didn't break a walk for the last 50 feet as the ambulance waited on him.   Much later, after the dead were removed, a drone flew down my drive, 300' feet away from the crash.  I walked in the road ditch about 2' away from my corn field and asked who was running the drone, and why was it over my field. I got a "I'd appreciate you backing out of my crash scene." from a too aggressive LEO.  I took on step back into my corn and continued asking questions.   My LEO neighbor (lives behind me in my departed brother's house) was running the drone and mouthed about him owning property, while another duty came over and copsplained about an expensive drone their trying to get their money out of, I asked why is it hundreds of feet away from the crash scene, he said overall view.   He said "we don't care about private property" and in context he was meaning he had a job to do and was focused on that job. I said "there's two ways to take that statement"  and thanked him for helping at the scene.

My neighbor is a LEO.  My former sister in law who sold him that house is a LEO.  She married again to....a LEO.   All three have lied to me.  All three didn't respect property lines.  The current one left a swing set in my field on the day the farmer spread fertilizer around it.  I'm not impressed.

22 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Want some drama?

This afternoon I was 1/2 dozing and heard a faint siren.   Looking at the highway I see cars parked everywhere, my oldest son's truck in the road ditch. ??? !!!!    I ran barefoot near the road to find his truck perfectly fine, but two vehicles wadded up on the other side of the road, my son helping attend to people.  

It was about a 2010  Ram head on versus some SUV and the SUV was on its passenger side.   There were about 15 bystanders providing help.  Turns out one son had come into the house to get the kitchen extinguisher for someone to put out a small fire, while the oldest son helped break glass and pull broken people out.   He saw two people breathe their last.

The Ram driver died.  He'd been heading toward McMinnville TN with two other vehicles, one was an old RV driven by his brother, the other a truck driven by that brother's wife.

They were on scene shortly after the man died, and as that brother knelt and mourned his dead brother, there was my son knelt down with him with his hand on his shoulder.    *I've gotta wipe my eyes*

My son described a little about what he did, trying to tear through the front windshield to access two people in the SUV.  His hands were cut up from the glass, but he'd not realized anything at the time.  I told him how in a panic a body can do stuff, and he did good, but remember to slow down to think.

Ross did some serious man stuff!  I'm proud of the way he selflessly responded.  He showed JESUS to those folks.

• 2 weeks later...

What a crazy couple weeks.

Wife got preeclampsia after birth, twice.

Bad headache, pain around the waistline, swelling feet and legs, super high Blood Pressure.

No pharmacy could get the BP meds filled for a couple days after she was released from a 3 day hospitalization, so she relapsed and had to go back to the ER and be admitted again for 3 more days.

Baby is healthy.

Wife is healthy again, but drained.

I've been on FMLA for 2 weeks now trying to help her out.

• Like 2