Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

I drive about 2,400 miles to work per 30 days averaging about 18.5 mpg.

So 2,400 / 18.5 = 130 gallons of 87 pump.

130 x 3.99 a gallon =  $518.70

I burn 93 pump in the F150 Eco, so if I daily drive it to work, I’m out about $600 a month in fuel.

Then add full synthetic oil changes every couple months  and the extra miles riding around on my off days to shop for groceries, go out on the town, etc., and we’re out even more. 

To go a month on electric, would be about $100 a month for me.

So I’m definitely adding an electric vehicle to my garage!

So who else here is considering an electric vehicle as a daily? 

8 hours ago, RaceAll said:

Before I changed jobs, at $1.89 per gallon, I was spending about $800 a month in gas for my truck. If I had stayed, it would have turned to over $1700 a month.

Oh wow! 

Were they making you drive your personal vehicle on the job and not paying you for gas?

This place lives on. Hope everyone is doing well. 

We save a ton of money with the wife's Model Y and her daily commute to Nashville. I've got a reservation in for the F150 but who knows if I'll ever get an invitation to order. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ashley P said:

John C, when I was at the Toyota dealer I realized the costs to repair a hybrid could be WAY more than a gas burner.   Who's gonna fix them when they break?   You'll need a "connection" at NEC.

I’m not doing a hybrid. Gas / electric is way too much to go wrong.

8 hours ago, slim9916 said:

This place lives on. Hope everyone is doing well. 

We save a ton of money with the wife's Model Y and her daily commute to Nashville. I've got a reservation in for the F150 but who knows if I'll ever get an invitation to order. 

Thanks, man! 🙂

Let me know when you get the F150. Might come have a look. Definitely get me a report on range an dhow long it takes to charge it. Oh, and a 1/4 mile timeslip!

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Thanks, man! 🙂

Let me know when you get the F150. Might come have a look. Definitely get me a report on range an dhow long it takes to charge it. Oh, and a 1/4 mile timeslip!

I haven't decided if I will follow through but I am going to entertain it, especially if gas continues to rise. My problem is price. My preferred package is a lariat with extended range battery which is 79k after destination. Currently have a 17 Tahoe and not sure I am ready to give it up yet. Based on my reservation I should be in the 23 model year but we'll see. Ford of Murfreesboro kind of sucks. If anyone has a contact at a local Ford dealer I'd be happy to talk to them about moving it. I get more info from the news/web than my sales guy. 

Also have a reservation for Silverado EV 😅 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

I thought you gave up on the forum, John.  I didn't think it was coming back.

GoDaddy hosed our forum and then they were absolutely no help trying to restore us on the new server.

Basically they told me they were not responsible for hosing our forum after trying to update and move us.

I figured with the very low activity here, low amount of active users and the loss of the history (all posts gone and having to make new accounts) that nobody would be interested in coming back.

But after talking to some folks, I seen some wanted me to reopen.

So I’m giving it a shot again.

The one guarantee I can make is it won’t crash and be lost again because I’m hosting with Invision (the forum software engineers) and they do all the updates, upgrades and general maintenance.

That and I hate Facebook with everyone ounce of my being, so I want this place to succeed for us hotroders!

Invite everyone back you still have contact with and let’s see how it goes.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:54 PM, JohnC said:

From Google:

11A9E64B-E187-4D2D-8E4D-D8F8ACDD3FB8.thumb.jpeg.630ece63c1df86ade12069fd3b6a9fbc.jpeg

Years ago (about 2000) I computed my cost per mile of my junky diesel truck.  Purchase of the truck, parts, tires, fuel, and insurance and it was 2.6 cents/mile.  I drove it for several years after that.  Diesel was about $2.00 at the time IIRC.