Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

I was doing some research on getting an antique tag for a vehicle that is turning 25 years old next year.  I did not realize Tennessee was allowing the "Vintage License Plate".

"Vintage License Plates. Instead of registering a vehicle with the standard antique motor vehicle plate, a person may choose to register an antique motor vehicle with an official vintage Tennessee license plate of the era when the vehicle was manufactured, and may display that license plate as their official Tennessee vehicle registration on the rear of the vehicle. Provisions for vintage plates also apply to motorcycles."

My old license plate, that was on my 1998 Ram SS/T when it was new, has been hanging on the garage/basement wall since it was replaced in 2000.  My current tag expires in October, so I'm going to wait until January to register my old vintage license plate to the truck.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kevin said:

I was doing some research on getting an antique tag for a vehicle that is turning 25 years old next year.  I did not realize Tennessee was allowing the "Vintage License Plate".

"Vintage License Plates. Instead of registering a vehicle with the standard antique motor vehicle plate, a person may choose to register an antique motor vehicle with an official vintage Tennessee license plate of the era when the vehicle was manufactured, and may display that license plate as their official Tennessee vehicle registration on the rear of the vehicle. Provisions for vintage plates also apply to motorcycles."

My old license plate, that was on my 1998 Ram SS/T when it was new, has been hanging on the garage/basement wall since it was replaced in 2000.  My current tag expires in October, so I'm going to wait until January to register my old vintage license plate to the truck.

Are there limitations on mileage?  KY limits Antique plate vehicle useage to car shows or such.  I never put enough miles on mine to tempt enforcement.

From Tennessee Code Ann. 55-4-111:

(A)  For participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector's item;

(B)  On the highways for the purpose of selling, testing the operation of, or obtaining repairs to or maintenance on such motor vehicle; and

(C)  For general transportation only on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't see anything about mileage limits in Tennessee.  It just says the vehicle has to be in original stock condition.  Antique vehicle law isn't something that is enforced in Tennessee.  I guess you could always tell a cop that you were out testing if you were pulled over.  🙂  I don't imagine I would be breaking the law anyway.  I rarely drive the truck during the week as is.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

So my Camaro SS was telling me I was getting great gas mileage, but the gauge was telling me a different story.

It said I averaged 18.5 mpg with some extended idle time and heavy stop and go traffic. 

After the math on the last fill-up, actual MPG’s was 9 mpg.

Not sure why it’s reading so far off.

Any ideas? 

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

So my Camaro SS was telling me I was getting great gas mileage, but the gauge was telling me a different story.

It said I averaged 18.5 mpg with some extended idle time and heavy stop and go traffic. 

After the math on the last fill-up, actual MPG’s was 9 mpg.

Not sure why it’s reading so far off.

Any ideas? 

Programming changes have skewed it?   You don't care.  Roll on.  🙂 

On 5/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, Ashley P said:

Programming changes have skewed it?   You don't care.  Roll on.  🙂 

I don't care much about mpg's in my hotrod as I don't daily drive it anymore, but I'd still like an accurate readout on the info. 

The Camaro got 8.85mpg's Friday. lol

E85 and a lead foot = bad mpg's!

That and the way it's tuned, it goes to .7xx to .8xx lambda right off throttle tip in.

It's weird.

Are all boosted cars on Ethanol tuned this way?

I mean, I can be barely be on the gas and it'll do .7 to .8 lambda. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 2:52 PM, Ashley P said:

It's trying to look like a Copperhead.  I'd pet it with birdshot as a reward for it's efforts. 

I'd say he's doing his best cottonmouth impression but doesn't have that viper head. He looks close enough that I wouldn't mess with him regardless. Get that close to a cottonmouth and he might mess with you.

• Like 1

I have an employee who  called me around 7:40 this evening while I was at church.  I answered it because I thought something must be wrong.  He proceded to tell me that he was going to be late to work because he forgot to set the alarm clock.  I was confused and asked him if he realized it was Wednesday evening just after 7:30.  He said, "Oh really?"  I was like, "yeah."  He told me he was sorry and he'd see me tomorrow.  Odd!  I think he's drunk.  I've noticed an odd, "I finished drinking around 3 hours ago" smell about him lately.  A couple mornings, I'd bet he'd blow more than a 0.08.  I really don't know what to do about this guy.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:57 PM, JohnC said:

Ever rode a motorcycle in a hail storm?

I did tonight.

Very light rain turned to hail and then just stopped all in about 5 minutes. 

Stings a bit.

I had red spots all over my chest and arms where it hit. LOL

i have with no where to pull over. Also wasn't wearing a jacket and ended up with blood running down my arms. From that point on, i was a fair weather rider only.

• Like 1

A guy at church, who I found out is an old friend of my uncle, has a 1965 Vette that he's owned since 1967.  He also has a C7 Z06 and a couple old Corvette race cars that he's restoring.  He only lives about 5 miles from me.  I need to go check them out.

• Like 1