Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

51 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Sweet! 

The clutch gap is "precise" and is adjusted by shims.  It can make or break the clutch operation.  If yours works fine, the gap is good.

My first try i had it to tight. Added a washer to it and seems to be fine for now. 

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

Had some bad lower back pain.

Results of MRI, herniated disc.

Sucks! 😞 

I have a severely ruptured disc in my lower back. Had surgery a few years ago and it's been great. 

They removed part of my spine so the nerve could drop down away from the disc. The disc is still ruptured but it's not on the nerve anymore.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am leaving tomorrow afternoon with my friend Ronnie (known him since 1980-1st grade) for Memphis.  We decided a few months back to do the Hot Rod Power Tour.  We'll be taking the back up plan which is my Challenger.  We were going to take his 1968 Cougar resto-mod, but the rear axle leak became a mismatched parts fiasco upon further inspection.  The shop that put it together for him 8 years ago botched it.  He thrashed (I helped when I could) on the car the last couple months installing a Holley efi kit.  He got the car running better than it ever did.  The car is about 98% good and the rear axle bit him.  He's had the efi setup in a box for nearly 2 years and I bugged him to get it installed last year.

I really don't know exactly what to expect.  I always thought doing the Power Tour would be fun and have never heard anyone say it wasn't.  It would probably be more fun in a Cougar, but it shouldn't be too bad in a car you can see at any new car dealership.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

I am leaving tomorrow afternoon with my friend Ronnie (known him since 1980-1st grade) for Memphis.  We decided a few months back to do the Hot Rod Power Tour.  We'll be taking the back up plan which is my Challenger.  We were going to take his 1968 Cougar resto-mod, but the rear axle leak became a mismatched parts fiasco upon further inspection.  The shop that put it together for him 8 years ago botched it.  He thrashed (I helped when I could) on the car the last couple months installing a Holley efi kit.  He got the car running better than it ever did.  The car is about 98% good and the rear axle bit him.  He's had the efi setup in a box for nearly 2 years and I bugged him to get it installed last year.

I really don't know exactly what to expect.  I always thought doing the Power Tour would be fun and have never heard anyone say it wasn't.  It would probably be more fun in a Cougar, but it shouldn't be too bad in a car you can see at any new car dealership.

I'm headed out tomorrow! Going to try to do the Long Haul with my 5yo. She's super excited so I haven't had the heart to tell her that the car is a POS that was put together by her Dad. She would be devastaed!

Tuesday night, after the NSS event i'm having a HRPT BBQ at my house. You and Ronnie are welcome to come! Maybe put the Challenger on the dyno?!!

• Like 1

Man, I envy you guys! 

Report back with pics and vidz og the hotrod tour!

I'm currently screwed. On Covid Quarantine. My whole house got it and we've been battling it since Tuesday. 

Diz, one day I'll hit that dyno for the heck of it. Bet it'll make about 780 wheel. lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Power Tour is car and truck overload.  I've seen some awesome cars and trucks and met some really awesome people.  The LaQuinta Inn in Hoover, AL is not so awesome.  On to Pensecola tomorrow.

Motels and Hotels aren't clean as they used to be.

Man, if you've ever thought about doing the Hot Rod Power Tour, you just need to get off your butt and do it.  It was hot and I wanted to be home at times, but overall, it was a fun time.  My favorite part was talking to people from all around the country.  I didn't meet one person who I didn't like.  We mostly hung with a group of guys that stayed at our hotel each time.  The old man and his step son were from San Antonio and his son and grandson were from Denver.  They were a hoot to be around.   The step son was one of the funniest guys I've ever met.  He had me laughing all the time.  I enjoyed being on the road with other cars and talking to one of my best friends.  I also met Ralph Gilles who has been with Chrysler for 30 years.   He's a big car guy who got to design cool cars.  He had his Speedkore 1968 Charger they call Hellucination.  What an amazing car!  He was so cool.  I asked a few questions about his car.  I then told him that I didn't want to hold him up.  At that point he asked me about my Challenger and asked me if I've always been a Mopar guy.  He listened and even asked questions about my other rides.  Most people in his position wouldn't want to talk to average guys.  At this point, I'm really missing being on the road.  

• Like 4

We had a blast! Thankfully, the AC was on blast as well. My word it was hot!!!! I set out in a totally untested new radiator and fan combo, and really hadn't even tuned the Holley HP engine management. The couple of hiccups I ran into was too low of idle rpm not spinning the alternator fast enough to turn on, and too low of idle timing. Bumped idle to 1000 and alt is happy and the timing kept the temps down too. Only other issue was the fuel pump (in tank AEM 340) would get too hot if ran too low. Twice at about 1/4 tank it stopped pumping. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and would come back to life long enough for me to get some gas. AFter it did that twice I just started filling just under 1/2 tank and never had another problem. 

My daughter had such a great time. I think at 5yo she's old enough to remember this. IF not, we'll do it again. Her highlights were the hotel pools and doing laps on the Atlanta Speedway. I got some video of that that i'll try to edit and upload. 

I have a list of things I want to change before the next one. Hopefully I can get at least some of them done!

All in all, it was a blast. Can't wait to do it again!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sounds like I need to go on one of these Hot Rod Tours!

What's stopping you?  I said the same thing for years.  Finally, I mentioned it to my old friend and he said, "Why not?"  So, we went.  He ordered the Platinum package, which is a little pricey.  I'm still disappointed we didn't get escargot and Grey Poupon in the air conditioned hospitality room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

What's stopping you?  I said the same thing for years.  Finally, I mentioned it to my old friend and he said, "Why not?"  So, we went.  He ordered the Platinum package, which is a little pricey.  I'm still disappointed we didn't get escargot and Grey Poupon in the air conditioned hospitality room.

By the time I heard registration was open, all of the Gold packages were already sold out. I don't want the hotels to be booked for me since I stay on points, so no Platinum for me. Hope I can get in quick enough next year to get the Gold.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

How did that go?

Still fun as the first time?

It's always a blast but slowly going downhill. The company that bought it out years ago is slowly commercializing to a fault.

ex: All the food use to be owned businesses, so it was all top notch and different. Now it's like theme park food. It's all the same regardless of which area you're in. 

• Like 1