Ask Ashley P!

Disney

Dear Unlubed:

I don't know.   I slap on reman'd units and go.   When I assembled my wheel cylinders on The Deuce, I used silicone lube (to resist moisture/rust on the outside of the "cup".  (Drive through one muddy creek and that's all exposed.  Then it could sit for months/years.  Who's gonna pull 10 wheels to clean 20 wheel cylinders?)

Signed,

Slick and shiny.

• Haha 1

House??   What house?

A tree fell crushing the corner of the Goat shed, narrowly missing (6 inches) the Goat and the dump truck cab.  It tore down the overhead wires to my shop and well pump.  I spent spare time for a couple weeks moving the tree and running a temp wire for water.

Me and the boys took out all remaining old sheet rock this winter.   Know how to get a ceiling down that has old fiberglass insulation on it?   Get into the attic with a water hose, wet it all really good, then kick it down.  Zero dust.  (Well, "nothing's perfect" in case the Caddy Machinist ever reads this.)

Carpenters have worked a few days for me getting several odds and ends done.  Leveled most all ceiling joists, reinstalled shower stall and sheet rocked that bath, opened up a closet wall for bifold doors, and started trimming the windows (interior).   I'm running behind....need to get a LOT of electrical and HVAC done so they can box around some stuff.

And lumber is higher now than during Covid.  😒

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Answer Ashley P:

2008 chevy 6.0,  very intermittent CMP data glitch.  Customer had already replaced the CMP, I did again, still same problem.  Idling in the bay and the scanner recorded a peak engine rpm via the CMP of 8191 rpm.  Reality was about 2000 rpm at most.   Where's the needle in this haystack??

I think it had a CMP code, is that a P0340?   Harness looks OK.   When driving down the road the engine will momentarily miss or shut off, like maybe it's missing 3 times in a row.  That's once every 10 miles or so.  I think I saw the CMP reference have a little glitch on the graph.

There is a 1' long harness running from the CMP down to the oil pan, that connector also looks good.

I've got another truck with similar issues.  "My electrician" has intermittent long crank with a p0340 CMP code.   I slapped one in last week, he came by yesterday saying that the starting is better, but it's sputtering/dying now.  No codes.   I graphed the CKP (crank sensor) and managed to have the rpm up to about 1800 when the engine lost all power and I saw the digital display show 0 for rpm just before the engine came back to life.  So, I KNOW that CKP reference was a lie.   If I can't see any wiring defect it'll get a CKP.

CKP rarely sets a code; when the computer sees 0 rpm it just "thinks" the engine is stopped.   Since the CKP is a HUGE part of some CMP code logic, maybe the CKP is the actual problem with the first truck that sets the CMP codes.  I'd better do some graphing of that next.

• 1 month later...

This back burner project that generates P0340 pretty regularly and a p0335 about 1/10 as often.....I've been driving it about once a week.   Seems to be getting more frequent, CMP and CKP graphs show wild fluctuation with CMP.

Today it died on the return of a test drive.   Zero CMP and CKP.   Nothing.   Raised hood and shook the computer harness, truck started and ran terribly back to the shop....where it ran perfect in the bay.

Inspecting the harness I wiggled, I found a valve cover stud wearing into the harness.   Sure enough, a Blue/White wire had metal showing...the signal from the CMP.   Tape and a removal of the stud and the first test drive was flawless.

Motor mounts are broken, engine moves a lot....probably helped that failure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...