House remodel reboot

Ashley P

I'm down to about 1% gumption for this remodel.   I'm trying to trade some labor with an electrician, I've got his 68 Camaro running, got the brakes almost rebuilt.  Trying to get the shell of a house ready for some heat to work this fall/winter.  I want emergency heat in the basement in the form of a wood stove, and the flue needs to be installed soon anyway, so I just priced most of what I will need.....  $2600.   Urg.  Triple wall, stainless, brackets and supports.   *rolleyes*     *I wonder what an assisted living place costs?* 

• Like 2

So far I bought a $300 kit at TSC that includes all the adapters, and I also bought one flue pipe 24" long.  It was about 130.   About $450 so far.  Just looked at floor and roof joists....I think they're perfect, a straight shot from basement to roof with no structure mods.   Too easy.   I musta missed something.... 

My initial 2600 estimate was from an online chimney store.   They wanted $230 for pipe.   NorthernTool has it for about 130 for 36" long.   That'll be about 700 more in pipe, total investment close to 1150.

Another $125 ish for black stove pipe.  Another couple hours to move and clean the stove.    Burned some dry oak leaves and cardboard to burn off the black pipe.   Didn't set the house on fire.  Success!    (Total materials about $1300; total time about 6 hours my time, 8 hours son time)

Where the pipe went up through the joists leaves me with a joist for a return air duct.   I'm gonna put a register near the top of the stove and at the other end of the return.  I can then select stove heat to be circulated by the HVAC blower.  🙂

• Like 2

Thinking out loud again:

Speaking of HVAC, that's next.   If you have common sense and want to pull your hair out, watch about 20 videos about duct sizing.    I've "learned" that CFM is volume, slow air never comes out of a duct, and many other things that make me think bad things about humanity.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Stupid update for a stupid project:

This summer a tree crashed my overhead wire to my well house.  I ran a wire on top of the ground to supply temp power to keep water.  I debated putting the tank/pressure switch in the basement, but that would require a wire to be trenched from the house to the well (which is not in the well house).  Well, the extreme cold last week froze pipes in the well house, and my bladder tank was also ruptured from old age. Since it all had to be redone, a move to the basement was made.

Today a son and I hand trenched 32' from the house to well, installed the wire, and buried it.   Now to design my water flow in my basement.  Probably gonna stack my tank and water heater to save space. 

Pondering using the old pressure tank as a lukewarm/solar preheated water supply to the heater heater and showers.  Why mix cold water with hot when you could mix lukewarm water with hot?

• 2 weeks later...

My Camaro ownin' electrician buddy came by last weekend to see what I'm doing.  He gave me a lot of pointers, a few goals, and said we can get a lot done in a short time.   I've got most boxes mounted, trying to complete them by this weekend.

I also got his brakes bled this week, so he's feeling good about that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, between the electrician giving me lots of "how-tos" and me and two boys pulling wire, we got about 1/2 of the upstairs roughed in.    I think his advice and guidance put some gumption in my tank.    Either that or I now have enough understanding to proceed with only a small chance of failure.