Tesla Truck is open for pre-order

JohnC

I'm really sour to electric vehicles since I know how much propaganda and government subsidies support that industry.   The sky is fallng, so lets save the day by reducing our food production to put solar "farms" in place.  (Farms produce edibles, so good luck eating electricity.)

It's not the end of the world. 🙂

Think of it like going from horse and buggy to automobile or Carburetor to EFI.

EV's are fun. Go drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance in Sport ad Track modes.

Better yet, go drive a Model S Plaid in Sport or Track mode as well.

Sir, with much respect I submit the following.....I've got solar panels coming near me.  I've researched the REASONS they are coming which are.... political.   If the logic of those "leftist" is taken to it's conclusion, they want us to live like it's 1820 (if not prior).

Food is again being taken out of the food chain and placed in the fuel chain.  (Like Obama and 10% corn based ethanol in gasoline raised grain prices and the high prices brought more land into production.)

End of the world?  No, it's not, but 3 things are certain.  1) Higher food prices. 2) Higher fuel prices   3) Less capable vehicles (at this point, considering the limits on battery capacity.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2024 at 1:13 PM, mstrpth said:

I'll buy electric the day a battery replacement cost less than $300

Unrealistic... LOL 

Some regular car and truck batteries cost that much.

You can't get the entire fuel system for a car or truck that cheap and that is what the batteries are for EV's is the fuel system. The fuel is the electricity.

You have to look at this in an honest and accurate way, or you won't understand the benefits of EV's. 

I'm saving money by going EV. 

Read my post below:

tesla_cost.thumb.jpg.68a90cc51ce4b0d03204401cd98e2645.jpg

May be an image of text that says '2:28 81 Charge Stats Month Year Feb 2023 Jan 2024 Total Charged Total Spent 8,795 kWh $1,108 mu 1151 kWh 576 MAMJJASONDI ON 97% 2% Home Supercharger 0% Work 1% Other'

May be an image of water heater

show me the cost once youve driven the car 200k miles. My fuel system will still be working at 100% capacity. 

Thats me looking at it in a honest and accurate way. I drive my cars until it doesn't make sense to drive them anymore. currently, my 2013 Lincoln mkz has 240k miles on it and my lifetime repair bill is less than $60.00 + 1 $200 battery. 

I'm a fan of electric vehicles. i think they're neat. practical...no, not in my case.

On 2/16/2024 at 2:44 PM, mstrpth said:

show me the cost once youve driven the car 200k miles. My fuel system will still be working at 100% capacity. 

Thats me looking at it in a honest and accurate way. I drive my cars until it doesn't make sense to drive them anymore. currently, my 2013 Lincoln mkz has 240k miles on it and my lifetime repair bill is less than $60.00 + 1 $200 battery. 

I'm a fan of electric vehicles. i think they're neat. practical...no, not in my case.

Well, give me time to own this car to report cost of ownership.

For now, all I can offer is the above fuel savings over my F150 I daily drove.

The Camaro SS would be expensive as the F150 because it gets like 10 mpg's right now on e85. I think it's a tune issue though.

So far, just 1 cabin HVAC filter which is routine maintenance in 24k miles.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:56 PM, JohnC said:

Well, give me time to own this car to report cost of ownership.

For now, all I can offer is the above fuel savings over my F150 I daily drove.

The Camaro SS would be expensive as the F150 because it gets like 10 mpg's right now on e85. I think it's a tune issue though.

So far, just 1 cabin HVAC filter which is routine maintenance in 24k miles.

I wish they were more practical for us that drove lots of miles and at random times. Maybe they will in the future now that Diesel Dave (diesel bros) is involved in the electric world. When i see battery replacements that cost $20k + and is a for sure maintenance item, i can't do it. 

Side note: i own a 1990 F250 with a 460 and it gets around -2 mpg 😅. If i had to drive that everyday, I would own electric regardless of my reservations 

8 hours ago, mstrpth said:

I wish they were more practical for us that drove lots of miles and at random times. Maybe they will in the future now that Diesel Dave (diesel bros) is involved in the electric world. When i see battery replacements that cost $20k + and is a for sure maintenance item, i can't do it. 

Side note: i own a 1990 F250 with a 460 and it gets around -2 mpg 😅. If i had to drive that everyday, I would own electric regardless of my reservations 

Folks need to understand, EV battery technology is still in its infancy. You know, like dialup was for internet. So it's only going to get better from here. 

That said, If I see battery degradation to the point I know it's going to be trash, I'll trade it off for a new one before I have to buy a battery. But fwiw, Tesla warranty covers the battery for 10 years 100,000 miles. I don't see my battery being dead by them as I follow correct procedures for prepping it. 

The people who had issues in the past were those folks driving them like taxis or Ubering, supercharging 3 or 4 times a day, and/or not following charging and prep procedures. Most EV's recommend you only charge to 80% for short daily driving and keep them plugged up when not in use to maintain the battery. You also set it up to precondition the battery before charging and driving. My M3P is setup tp be ready to drive by the time I leave for work and leave work for home. It is also setup to be ready to charge when I get home. Basically it preconditions the battery to drive or charge. It also will have your car defrosted, warm and ready to roll in the winter, or cooled off in the summer.

Charging at home and only using superchargers on long trips like vacations is the best way to do it.

I've seen no degradation in my battery in 24k miles. I charge at home 97% of the time daily.

• Like 1

Electric cars are a dead end road.  Research the reduction in coal fired power plants.  Research the $$$$$$$ being dumped (our tax money) into solar panels taking over farm land.   Your kids will be hungry when they're 20 years old.  The USofA is doomed.  (No exaggeration on my end.)

On 2/19/2024 at 5:46 PM, Ashley P said:

Electric cars are a dead end road.  Research the reduction in coal fired power plants.  Research the $$$$$$$ being dumped (our tax money) into solar panels taking over farm land.   Your kids will be hungry when they're 20 years old.  The USofA is doomed.  (No exaggeration on my end.)

Research the diversified TVA grid...

Power stations[edit]

With a generating capacity of approximately 35 gigawatts (GW), TVA has the sixth highest generation capacity of any utility company in the United States and the third largest nuclear power fleet, with seven units at three sites.[3][16] In addition, they also operate four coal-fired power plants, 29 hydroelectric dams, nine simple-cycle natural gas combustion turbine plants, nine combined cycle gas plants, 1 pumped storage hydroelectric plant, 1 wind energy site, and 14 solar energy sites.[17] In fiscal year 2020, nuclear generation made up about 41% of TVA's total energy production, natural gas 26%, coal 14%, hydroelectric 13%, and wind and solar 3%.[17] TVA purchases about 15% of the power it sells from other power producers, which includes power from combined cycle natural gas plants, coal plants, and wind installations, and other renewables.[18] The cost of Purchased Power is part of the "Fuel Cost Adjustment" (FCA) charge that is separate from the TVA Rate. In addition, the Watts Bar Nuclear Plant is the only facility in the country to industrially produce tritium, which is used by the National Nuclear Security Administration for nuclear weapons, where it is used to supercharge and boost the explosive yield of the U.S. nuclear arsenal.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Valley_Authority 

Out of all those sources, only 4 TVA coal fired power plants (14%) in TN. We have a VERY diversified energy grid. 

We could probably burn no coal if we just built 4 or 5 more NG plans. 

So don't let that Fake News Media get you too excited. 

I'm taking actions and ideas to their logical conclusions.     I didn't use "news media" for any of the info that lead me to conclude that climate extremists (always Democrat) have put policies in place that power companies are mandated to follow.  Those policies are increasing the cost of electricity and increasing the cost of food.

How much farmland around you has been turned into solar panels?

Do you find it "odd" that a partially subsidized farmer is out-bid on land rent by a factor of 4 by a "solar company" claiming to have pre-sold the electricity it's projected to make?

Have you signed a petition lately

No media involved on my end.  Your data shows TVA buying 15% of it's power from other people.  Why is that? 

TVA claims a goal of "Net Zero" by 2050.  Look at how they claim to get there.   I stand by my conclusion that this is going to change the way our children live vs how we lived.   I don't mean they'll be in electric cars vs ICE 60s GTOs, I mean energy will be so expensive they won't be able to take a "Sunday drive"....and perhaps they have travel distance limits per person per time period.  And food will cost more/be scarce for the poor.

The very wording of the TVA site indicates to me they've been neutered by the climate extremists.  https://www.tva.com/environment/environmental-stewardship/sustainability/carbon-report

List of former TVA coal power plants.   Several closed due to "environmental impacts".  https://www.tva.com/energy/our-power-system/coal/plants-of-the-past    And TVA buys power to sell...they aren't making enough.  Hmmmm....

Edited by Ashley P

11 hours ago, Ashley P said:

1. I'm taking actions and ideas to their logical conclusions.     I didn't use "news media" for any of the info that lead me to conclude that climate extremists (always Democrat) have put policies in place that power companies are mandated to follow.  Those policies are increasing the cost of electricity and increasing the cost of food.

2. How much farmland around you has been turned into solar panels?

3. Do you find it "odd" that a partially subsidized farmer is out-bid on land rent by a factor of 4 by a "solar company" claiming to have pre-sold the electricity it's projected to make?

4. Have you signed a petition lately

5. No media involved on my end.  Your data shows TVA buying 15% of it's power from other people.  Why is that? 

1. The hysteria had to start someplace. Do elaborate. 

2. None around middle TN that I've seen. More is gobbled up by new warehouses, apartment complexes and condos/townhomes/single family homes, etc., than anything else. Which makes freaking out over solar panels kind of silly. I bet 99% of your farm land is gobbled up by the aforementioned rather than solar by itself.  

That said...

The decline is farming has been going on long before solar farming came along. It's mostly because it's so hard to make a living farming. Add the kids of farmers find out the land is worth millions in a quick flip and they cash out to the highest bidder rather than WORK the land for pennies. Even some of the farmers around here threw in the towel since land prices have skyrocketed due to demand for new housing.

3. Supply and demand economics. I don't like the decline in US farming and I fear depending on outside countries to supply our food for obvious reasons. but we're not arguing those facts. 

4. I'm very politically active. Petitions are junk mail for politicians who don't care about junk mail. If you don't show up at their office, you're a nobody to them. 

5. Because a lot of people have solar panels that sell juice back to the grid, etc. Why would there be windmills if they couldn't sell back to the grid? And lastly, because it is probably cheaper by some means (like buying cheaper green energy also gets them tax breaks), etc. 

6 hours ago, Ashley P said:

TVA claims a goal of "Net Zero" by 2050.  Look at how they claim to get there.   I stand by my conclusion that this is going to change the way our children live vs how we lived.   I don't mean they'll be in electric cars vs ICE 60s GTOs, I mean energy will be so expensive they won't be able to take a "Sunday drive"....and perhaps they have travel distance limits per person per time period.  And food will cost more/be scarce for the poor.

The very wording of the TVA site indicates to me they've been neutered by the climate extremists.  https://www.tva.com/environment/environmental-stewardship/sustainability/carbon-report

List of former TVA coal power plants.   Several closed due to "environmental impacts".  https://www.tva.com/energy/our-power-system/coal/plants-of-the-past    And TVA buys power to sell...they aren't making enough.  Hmmmm....

If you listen to the far-left, that is their goal. Because they believe we're killing earth and the only way to save it is by neutering us. Meanwhile, China keeps building new coal fired power plants. Makes you wonder who is behind the madness? 

• Like 1

3.  Supply and demand?   I agree/that's my point.   Why are subsidized farmers outbid by a factor of 4?   Government policies that prefer solar panels over farmland.   Take that to it's "logical" conclusion.   The power company MUST buy high priced solar energy while lessening cropped land.

I hate to sound like I'm raining on the Tesla parade.  I'm rather glad you can enjoy performance for less fuel cost.   I'm frightened/saddened/angry that the general population is not catching on to the outcome of these energy/carbon regulations....if the same "logic" continues, the vast majority of Americans (possibly the world) will be living like it's 1820 while the "elites" still jet-set.

• Like 1

Oh, another way of looking at things:   Lots of bad ideas start in Europe and come here after about 10 years.  Look at what those countries are doing to farmers, and what farmers are doing back.   Manure pumped onto government buildings is.....mostly peaceful I guess.  😄 

7 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

I'd take that z06 any and every time over a truck

That Vette is over 1 second slower than a Model S plaid and a half second slower than a X Plaid SUV.

I think you'd have more fun in the 9.2x sec S or 9.9 sec X.

How would you feel to go to the dragstrip and get beat by me in a 6 seat heavy Tesla SUV that cost $91k in your 2 seat reverse engineered Ferrari Vette for $112k?  lol  

Look, I love that ZO6. But after driving and owning a Tesla, I have seen the light. 

Plus, nearly nothing can beat a Tesla Model S Plaid, especially for its under $100k base price. https://www.tesla.com/models/design#overview

Tesla Plaid's are smoking supercars and hypercars that cost 3x plus more.

Helluva value to get a reliable 1,100rwhp daily driver that costs just a fraction to operate over it's ICE competitors. 

I have a value system. Don't hate me for it! lol