Tractors: 1973 vs 1985

Ashley P

There is a 1985ish  AGCO RT135 here at work.   I noticed it's got a 6.7 Cummins with a mechanical injection pump driven from the flywheel, not timing cover.   Here's tractordata info for the AGCO RT135.

Interesting (to me) the drawbar pull measures 108 hp and uses 9.2 gallons of diesel per hr, while the Allis Chalmers 7030 from 1973 measures 110 hp and uses 8.5 g/hr.

Why is the newer tractor less efficient?   Lot's of variables, but what got me attention is the AGCO is AWD and uses a CVT.   CVT works by using a hydraulic motor to control the RPM of a ring gear on a planetary gearset.    I wonder how efficient that is compared to the 1973 5 speed manual gearbox....hmm.

• 5 months later...

I wonder if some of the HP differences in those years can be attributed to the way HP is measured in the different years. I can recall back in 1993 the Mustang went from 225hp in 92 to 205hp in 93 with no changes other than how it was measured. 

On 12/30/2022 at 2:01 PM, Ashley P said:

I love mechanically injected diesel engines.  They are super reliable.  That said, I've now got one that won't start, I think the fuel injection metering "stuff" is stuck because it sat for about 1 year.   Crap.

After watching hours of Diesel Creek on the tube I've come to believe that any diesel will fire. He's dragging out crap that's been sitting in the woods for 20 years, bleeding the fuel system and they run.

7 hours ago, Disney said:

I wonder if some of the HP differences in those years can be attributed to the way HP is measured in the different years. I can recall back in 1993 the Mustang went from 225hp in 92 to 205hp in 93 with no changes other than how it was measured. 

The Nebraska tractor test is pretty....scientific.   My assumption is that everything is either standardized or corrected.

7 hours ago, Disney said:

After watching hours of Diesel Creek on the tube I've come to believe that any diesel will fire. He's dragging out crap that's been sitting in the woods for 20 years, bleeding the fuel system and they run.

I would have agreed, but mine won't start and the local old tractor guru told me all about the tiny springs that open tiny valves with tiny clearances.  He's seen them stick.   HIS POINTER:   after shutting off the engine, "turn" the pump "on" while it's stored.   The springs are then stored with the valve open for fuel flow, so even if they stick the engine will still start. (It just might not shut off.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 1:08 AM, Disney said:

Wasn't it emission killing hp? like # of cats, etc?