Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

Well, my daughter always seemed to like piano, so I decided to get one for when she gets old enough she can learn to play.

Roland 88 Key. It’s a decent start. Just got to get some speakers as this model doesn’t have built in speakers.

Any recommendations on a practice speaker? 

&

Any recommendations on lessons via books and video for her to learn by? 

IMG_3400.thumb.jpeg.19b2887cc73e26d3175852138554281a.jpeg

IMG_3404.thumb.jpeg.dc093505925c5c8c3d6a4423244298f7.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Any recommendations on lessons via books and video for her to learn by? 

As a life long musician, and someone who minimally knows how to play a piano and read music. 

Take her to get lessons. Piano is extremely difficult to learn - I tried teaching my own kids and we all just quit.

Taking her somewhere can teach her the fundamentals and proper techniques. Its better to learn the right way vs learning bad habits and then having to correct them later.  

My opinion anyways

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mstrpth said:

As a life long musician, and someone who minimally knows how to play a piano and read music. 

Take her to get lessons. Piano is extremely difficult to learn - I tried teaching my own kids and we all just quit.

Taking her somewhere can teach her the fundamentals and proper techniques. Its better to learn the right way vs learning bad habits and then having to correct them later.  

My opinion anyways

I'm definitely getting them lessons as I don’t know how to play it either.

I played drums in school, but I’ve forgotten how to even read music.

I gave away my Gibson Gothic Flying V I bought new just because I never had time to learn to play it.

Wish I’d kept it now as I could have gave it my kids.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice! 

• Like 1

Finally got my 24kw backup generator installed.

It isn't cheap! 

Lee Company installed it with their Switch panel and all their labor and materials $7,244.00!

I made them put it on a concrete slab. Most installers just plink them down on the dirt. 

The unit I bought, just add tax: https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/guardian-series/24kw-7210-with-200amp-ser-transfer-switch 

Lee didn't use that transfer switch because supposedly they couldn't. 

So they used this one instead: https://www.generac.com/all-products/transfer-switches/automatic-transfer-switches/rxgw20sha3

Then I had to buy a battery for the generator $228 with tax. 

Generac MyLink app 1 year subscription $55

The total is rounded to right about $14,700.00! 😮

This doesn't include any maintenance program. Still looking in to that. Might do it myself if it won't void the warranty. 

IMG_3516.thumb.jpeg.832a3f4d2a7b05d4ae326c8280061562.jpeg

Not sure why they ran the gas line and generator so far back. Codes? Fire hazard? I just think it would have been a cleaner looking install closer to the gas main and it would hide that huge ugly junction box better. 

I don't care for the leaning conduit, but not going to make them chop out more bricks to make it straight. 

IMG_3497.thumb.jpeg.4e93341b694d9f6e6eecbb6adbd42ed1.jpeg

IMG_3498.thumb.jpeg.cdd2a395da215af8dc8f86c379f132e7.jpeg

IMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.fe5dfe49fbe8306b49c41bdf0a122d6e.jpeg

IMG_3499.thumb.jpeg.5a558db9aa42a6dafb25fce5b9b8f0da.jpeg

IMG_3502.thumb.jpeg.f32e6548c2396a88519798ff84eaf9b2.jpeg

IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.a345f9b45fb4e7f71f4c2658db8bc5fd.jpeg

IMG_3500.thumb.jpeg.988858cdd8a1a340952afcf58e9bfe10.jpeg

I'd liked that big conduit to have been run right off the box 90 degree angle hard conduit right to the generator instead of on the ground. So to keep that from getting chopped on by weed-eaters, I'll probably stack some stone around the generator and conduit, and then pour a gravel pit in there to make it look nice and keep the grass out. 

IMG_3507.thumb.jpeg.8bf61fa9cb2711d8abe70f10a641f6fa.jpeg

IMG_3505.thumb.jpeg.4aea50ed2ca7f667dce9e1a4b772b06e.jpeg

IMG_3510.thumb.jpeg.d5dad81bbc15fc571fdb63f00f75345f.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mstrpth said:

You've got to stop using them! Their work is not on par for what they're charging you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That flex should have been buried at the very least.

I hope you kept the switch they claimed could not be used

I still got the switch panel. I still can't figure out why they couldn't use it.

Yeah, I'm not pleased. Install looks messy to be honest. 

Inspector came this morning. He found they didn't label stuff on the breaker switches and the conduit pipes from the meter to switch panel and out of the switch panel were not sealed/glued. 

I called the project manager and let him know even though the inspector emailed them. He's sending the guys back out tomorrow to fix those issues

Then, the project manager said their setup/startup guy is two weeks out because they only have one. WTF?

I setup WiFi myself and did a quick 30 second manual startup.

That said, I do have it in ready to run mode now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mstrpth said:

I need a few(hundred)plugs of your grass

They must have spilled some pipe sealant/glue or something and walked around on it a lot because it doesn't look that good now. A couple brown spots cropped up and it's beat down where they worked. :classic_sad:

Going to work on fixing that tomorrow. 

I use Scotts Southern Gold tall fescue grass seed:

https://scotts.com/en-us/shop/grass-seed/scotts-turf-builder-grass-seed-southern-gold-mix-for-tall-fescue-lawns/scotts-turf-builder-grass-seed-southern-gold-mix.html

Water the heck out of it because it doesn't seem to like more than a couple hot and dry days. It'll brown up and get thin pretty quick. I cut it on 4 inches via my Kubota ZT.

I use their weed killer/fertilizer as recommended for each season:

https://scotts.com/en-us/shop/fertilizers/ 

This spreader:

https://scotts.com/en-us/shop/lawn-care-deals/scotts-turf-builder-edgeguard-dlx-broadcast-spreader/76232B.html

I have TrueGreen come out and aerate, etc.  

• Like 1

Rust removal with 30% strength vinegar works well.   The rusty (inside) gastank looks very good after soaking for about a week with about 1/2 gallon of vinegar.   Dark rusty areas are only a light brown color now, and previously no-so-shiny bare metal looks new.

• Like 1

Some time ago we were talking about correct diagnostics vs guessing.   Well.... 2012 Wrangler w/p0753 (shift sol. electrical code).

Followed the diagnostic flow chart testing circuits.  Test = replace TCM.  But first, because it was easy, I swapped "bad" sol. with the other one, no change in code.  So, replaced TCM.

Not fixed, same code.

Went through the test again.  And again.   Same results = TCM defect. 

Knowing the solenoid is good, wire harness has tested good about 4 times, guessed at the "contactor plate" (circuit board) at the valve body.  Replaced it.

Not fixed, same code.

I'm gonna change jobs after a 6 months nap.   Goodnight.

Looking at my electric bill, the most kWh I've consumed within an hour is about 17 kWh. So I think I'm good to go since this thing seems to be able to run the whole house at our max consumption.

The generator is a 24kW, but on NG is actually 21kW so max continuous amps is 87.5.

That said, the Tesla charger is responsible for some of those higher peaks. It charges on 48 amps max so at 240 volts it is pulling 11.5kW by itself. If I needed to, I can slow it down in my Tesla app. But I charge off peak hours (1am to 4am) so nothing else but the Tesla charger, refrigerators / freezers and HVAC is pulling juice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...