Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

Yesterday I almost replied about how it seems that #4 has about 10 times more failures than it should have.   But I didn't have any statistical evidence to support my claim.

Just now a customer left after we discussed his misfire and tick sounds from his....#4 cylinder.  

I'm still waiting for statistical evidence.

Ford must have let the Camaro team design the rear of the new Mustang.  Elon Musk took care of the dash.  The overall car looks too much like the current Mustang.  At least Ford is still offering the V8.  I think they'll be ready when everybody finally realizes electrification of the auto industry ain't gonna work.

• Like 2

Since the Lightening truck moved so far up in price ($80k for a XLT with 320 mile Long Range Battery) and base truck ( $47k with 240 mile battery) can't be configured with Long Range Battery, I'm looking at mid priced EV's.

Unfortunately, there are no other trucks in the F150 class that are all electric and as nice as the F150, so I'm looking at 4 door EV cars now.

Mini has the best looking low priced EV at $35k, but only like 115 mile battery. That's not enough.

So the Tesla Model 3 Performance (AWD) is on my radar. It would be about $65k and I seen video of them running 11.7 1/4 mile, so it would be a fun car to daily. That's as quick as my Camaro SS was with HCE 3400 stall and E85.  

This https://www.tesla.com/model3 in all black with performance package.

What do you all think?

Oh, and if I can't get a L then I'm keeping my gas F150 to tow and haul with.

This is just to diversify my transportation and get a DD I don't need to gas up so when Biden stops using SOR and prices skyrocket back up, the car note will be offset by not having to buy gas. It would actually save me money. Right now at current gas prices, I'd break about even. 

With gas, oil changes, maintenance, etc., I spend on average $700 to $1k a month for the gas powered vehicles (depending on gas prices). Charging a EV for 300 plus miles from home is like $7.

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With gas, oil changes, maintenance, etc., I spend on average $700 to $1k a month for the gas powered vehicles (depending on gas prices). Charging a EV for 300 plus miles from home is like $7.

And, what was maintenance on the EV?   Like battery replacement.   How about when the grid is over burdened by increased EV use and decreased production due to abandonment of fossil fuels and you can either not get electricity or it's way higher. There are no easy answers...(except my tin foil hat and bunker in...Alaska.)

On 9/27/2022 at 3:01 PM, JohnC said:

Oh, and if I can't get a L then I'm keeping my gas F150 to tow and haul with.

This is just to diversify my transportation and get a DD I don't need to gas up so when Biden stops using SOR and prices skyrocket back up, the car note will be offset by not having to buy gas. It would actually save me money. Right now at current gas prices, I'd break about even. 

There are Day 1 reservation holders who are still waiting to order a Lightning. Unless you pay a heavy markup/resale I'd say good luck finding one in the next 1-2 years. My wife drives to Nashville and we have saved significantly with her Model Y.

Maintenance on an EV? After roughly two years and 42,996 miles, my wifes Y needs a set of tires.  😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slim9916 said:

There are Day 1 reservation holders who are still waiting to order a Lightning. Unless you pay a heavy markup/resale I'd say good luck finding one in the next 1-2 years. My wife drives to Nashville and we have saved significantly with her Model Y.

Maintenance on an EV? After roughly two years and 42,996 miles, my wifes Y needs a set of tires.  😄 

Ordered a Model 3 Performance. 

These mofo's are not cheap!

How much did installing the wall charger run you? 

How much does it run you to charge from home, from say 20% or a typical charge for you? How often do you charge? 

3 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Ya'll have jumped from Trump's diesel locomotive to Biden's electric dream cars.   Whatzup?

It’s about the bottom line, not politics for me.

When I seen I could literally pay the car note with the savings from gasoline, oil changes, etc., and gain a more reliable nearly maintenance free vehicle that I don’t even need to stop for gas (saves time — charge at home while you sleep), it was a no brainer. 

Now add this car will knock off 11 sec 1/4 mile ET’s all day, makes it a fun AWD car to daily that isn’t breaking valve train, breaking transmissions, leaking oil, over heating in summer heat and traffic, etc.

The Model 3 Performance is as fast as  my Camaro SS was with heads, cam and valve train, DoD delete, CAI, injectors, fuel pump, flex fuel sensor, full kooks 3in exhaust with Kooks LT’s,  3400 stall converter, tune., etc. 

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

Ordered a Model 3 Performance. 

These mofo's are not cheap!

How much did installing the wall charger run you? 

How much does it run you to charge from home, from say 20% or a typical charge for you? How often do you charge? 

I looked a 3 Performance but would've sold the CTS to justify it so I decided against it.

I know a commercial electrician who did it for me for $125. All he had to do was drop it out of my panel so it was mostly parts and half hour of labor. Charging is around 0.09 a KW so you can figure out how much it costs pretty easily. Her Y is a 75kw so it's probably from $3-5 to charge per day. We do typically charge it daily since she commutes to Nashville and as it gets colder you will want to leave it plugged in to help warm up the battery. Her office also has 5 or 6 tesla chargers that she uses to save a few extra dollars while at work. Rule of Thumb on the Tesla pages is ABC Always be Charging. 

• Like 1