Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

BMW does the ring in

7:20.207 minutes is the official, notarised lap time of the BMW M4 CSL for the 20.8 kilometre track (full lap) of the Nürburgring. The model thus achieved the best value ever realised by a BMW production vehicle.

The measurement on the track traditionally used as a benchmark with a length of 20.6 kilometres (excluding the straight at section T13) resulted in a lap time of 07:15.677 minutes.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/all-models/overview-m-and-m-performance/bmw-m4-csl/2022/bmw-m4-csl.html

8 hours ago, Tino said:

Yes. Our drivers are having problem getting fuel cause of the low rivers. Barges can't make it to the terminals

I took the fam to the beach, er, river bottom tonight.  Distance is difficult to judge, but I'd guess we walked about 200-300 yards out.  My bigger kids ran about 1/2 mile upstream to look at beached barges.  It's weird standing maybe 15-20 feet lower than the water line on the bank, and to think that the tall trees up on land were mostly under water in 2011.   6 feet deep now, 60 then.  Hard to imagine that difference, a mile wide river growing over 50' of depth.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, slim9916 said:

What's the delivery date for the Model 3? When you get a VIN assigned you'll be getting close. Performance models tend to get delivered faster than the standard due to demand. 

If you order a Model S Plaid today, Est. Delivery: Nov - Dec 2022

If you order a Model 3 Performance today, Est. Delivery: Oct - Nov 2022

If you order a Model X  Plaid today, Est. Delivery: Nov - Dec 2022

If you order a Model Y Performance today, Est. Delivery: Oct - Nov 2022

On 10/24/2022 at 7:16 AM, mstrpth said:

Whats the range when towing 9500lbs? I couldn't find that info

Not sure, but it'll probably he half or less than half of what it would be unloaded.

I'd wait for TFL Truck YouTube channel to test it.

Right now, they're testing it's big brother, the Hummer EV.

The GMC EV I believe is built on the same platform.

From L EV Group

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 12) took our first road trip in our SR Lightning Pro and thought we’d share our experience. We learned A LOT and thought the group would like to see the stats. 2700 miles driven, 27 charges and 57 hours in the car. We drove from OKC to Savannah and home.
Things we learned:
1. The battery range doesn’t like cold air temps of 40 degrees and below.
2. Mississippi has one EA fast charger in the entire state.
3. Range seems to be most efficient at 75 degrees and 55-65 mph. (We drove 80 on cruise control most of the trip and saw a drop in efficiency.)
4. Only fast charge for the miles you need to the next charger plus 30-50 miles extra for allowance for low temps, wind or elevation changes. That last 10-15% is not worth the wait or cost.
5. On an 8 hr trip, it seems (on average) we added 3 hrs of charge time.
6. After traveling the north route, the south route on I-10 was our friend. Much more chargers and higher average temps made for a less stressful drive.
7. With all the needed calculations you might want to get your pilot’s license. 😆313193959_5975560625796377_8937596185418290428_n.thumb.jpg.2bf42b3816384971f2211017bc58471f.jpg

^ It's worse than driving slow, it's having to drive somewhere OTHER than your destination just to get charged.   Efficient?  Nope.

Fix it Disney.    Batteries need to be standardized like gasoline is standardized.  Make batteries in a few different "grades".  Make all battery packs like a suitcase on wheels that can be rolled out of the chassis, checked for "health",  and exchanged for a charged battery.  A stop for a battery could take the same time as a gas fill up.

• Like 1

I finally decided to do the infamous intake plenum fix on my 1998 Ram SS/T's 5.9 Magnum that I've been putting off for 4 years.  Chrysler used a thin sheet metal plenum cover on the bottom side of the intake manifold.  It warps over time and develops a leak.  So, it ingests oil and air from the crankcase.  A tell tale sign is oil seepage and engine pinging under heavy throttle.  My truck does both.  The fix is the 1/4" thick aluminum plate you see sitting on the upper radiator hose in the picture along with new gaskets.  This issue happens around 60,000 or 180,000 miles.  Of course, mine had to be the 60,000 miler.

A friend from Texas gave me the plate and wouldn't even let me pay for shipping.  He sold the truck he was going to use it on.

I got industrious today and decided to get started. I pulled the fan shroud, air intake box, and idler pulley. I removed the 9 bolts that hold the alternator/AC compressor bracket onto the block. I disconnected a few plugs and hoses and labeled them. I'm hoping to have everything out of the way so the intake manifold will be ready to pull next Saturday.  It's been fairly easy so far.  A garage kept vehicle that hasn't been abused makes for easy wrenching.

The truck is dirtier under hood than I realized.  I am going to de-grease a bunch of stuff before I put the fan shroud back in.

1400937254_SSTMagnumIntakeRepair.thumb.jpg.6b9a256fa8d71712364ee1ecc0e77427.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/28/2022 at 8:12 AM, Ashley P said:

^ It's worse than driving slow, it's having to drive somewhere OTHER than your destination just to get charged.   Efficient?  Nope.

Fix it Disney.    Batteries need to be standardized like gasoline is standardized.  Make batteries in a few different "grades".  Make all battery packs like a suitcase on wheels that can be rolled out of the chassis, checked for "health",  and exchanged for a charged battery.  A stop for a battery could take the same time as a gas fill up.

Like Nio

#%#@  NO!   Sit in the car while that happens??  Inside a car, inside a box, with several batteries stored inside, while a powerful machine (hydraulic?) manipulates the car and batteries?    That's like a recipe for a horrible death! 

(Nice try for the idea, though. 🙂

I got most everything out of the way.  I'm going to wait until Saturday to remove the intake manifold.  I pulled the throttle body off and looked down inside the intake manifold.  As suspected, there's a puddle of oil in the back of the manifold.  As usual, I have to make another trip to the auto parts store.  I can't find my blue Loctite and I need a thermostat housing gasket.  I think I'll change the oil while I'm at it.

• Like 2

I pulled the upper radiator hose and the thermostat housing.  Wow!  My thermostat looks like it went down with the Titanic.  I can't believe the truck's engine never ran hot.  It ran as cool 3 weeks ago as it did when it was brand new.  I think it has leaked coolant and oil around the intake manifold for some time.

• Like 2

I've fixed a few dozen of those gasket leaks.  Never replaced that sheetmetal "pan", no comebacks.   I figured the factory gasket was slightly inadequate.   (But I'm sure a 1/4" aluminum plate is better.)

I always thought those 318/360 engines had a little more power than comparable year/size Chebys (which ALL had massive intake gasket leaks.)

I thought I'd go ahead and take out the intake manifold bolts.  I had great success taking 9 of them out.  The one in front on each side broke.  Comparing the broken length to the other bolts, the rest should be sticking ouf of the engine block.  The very back one on the passenger side was broken already.  That broken bolt is shorter than the other two, so there's even more of it sticking up out of the engine block.  I'm going to wait until Saturday to pull the manifold so a buddy can help me with the lifting.  I'm hoping a little PB Blaster will do the trick.  If not, I don't know what I'm going to do.

My oldest son is 16 and has his first truck.  The electrician with the 68 Camaro had a 2003 S10 for sale.   4.3, 5 speed with a MAN PEDAL.   His first clutch release was quicker than needed, but the RPM was there for tire slippage on his first start.  Muh boy is now a man!   lol

• Like 2