Random Thought Thread v2.0

JohnC

#4 seems to fail much more often than #s 1, 6, and 7 combined and in the past I've had some repeat failures.   About 5 years ago I began replacing the AFM control manifold when I replaced any AFM lifters.   Since then I've not had repeat failures.

Didn't you reprogram to deactivate AFM??

4 hours ago, Tino said:

I have one of these on the truck 

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/

Been on there for a year now. And still that #4 failed. 

Truck doesn't tick or make any weird noise and it has good oil pressure. Just that #4 is missing. I swapped coils around, spark plugs and fuel injectors and still misses. 

When valves are disabled (and thus not opening), I verify that condition by running the engine (in Park) at a high rpm, when flooring the throttle while turning off the key.   If a valve is not opening you will hear a very distinct reverb/pulse sound from the intake.

And checking compression and looking at rockers are also good ways to make sure.   (Not that I don't trust your swaps, but...what about wiring, or, or...")

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, Tino said:

What would cause the same lifters to go bad? I replaced the lifters on my 08 silverado cause #4 cylinder was missing. Truck ran good for 3 months and now again same #4 cylinder missing. 

My plan this time is to buy a cam and  remove the dod lifters. I just don't want to do all that and #4 start missing again. 

Oil pressure good?

Pushrod worn?

Lifter bore in spec?

How does the cam look? I've heard some cheaper cores have delaminated before. 

13 hours ago, Tino said:

I have one of these on the truck 

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/

Been on there for a year now. And still that #4 failed. 

Truck doesn't tick or make any weird noise and it has good oil pressure. Just that #4 is missing. I swapped coils around, spark plugs and fuel injectors and still misses. 

Did you not delete DoD / AFM when you did the cam?

One I did it 3 months ago all I did was replace the lifters on the passenger side. 

Oil pressure is good

All the lifter rollers looked good, I looked inside the lifters bore to look at the cam and the cam also looked good

Truck still has dod lifters in it

Oh, the other variable with failures is oil QUALITY.  Not only is the oil clean, but is it free of air?    When the oil pickup tube O-ring gets old and hard (close to 200k) the poor seal allows air to be sucked into the oil pump.   That puts bubbles in the oil.  I've wondered what that does to the lifters.

Friends and I were sitting about 20 feet to the left of this camera.   My buddy was filming and shut his camera off after a while because he didn't want to record someone burning to death.   It looked like Nitrous and fuel sprayed right through the Lexan.  It looked TERRIBLE in person.  About 1998.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, Ashley P said:

When valves are disabled (and thus not opening), I verify that condition by running the engine (in Park) at a high rpm, when flooring the throttle while turning off the key.   If a valve is not opening you will hear a very distinct reverb/pulse sound from the intake.

And checking compression and looking at rockers are also good ways to make sure.   (Not that I don't trust your swaps, but...what about wiring, or, or...")

I tried the high rpm trick. One I turned the truck off it was shutting off and then for a split second it sounded like it wanted to turn back on.

Like the engine rotated by itself 

This story is amazing.  Some rich baby cries to his Sheriff buddy who flies a crew of deputies out to Indiana to strongarm a legitimate fantasy car builder.  If a Sheriff's Dept. from another state showed up at my house with warrants, I'd laugh in their face and call my local Sheriff.

I wonder how they got the local PD to participate in this. From the report (where we don't have all the facts) it sounds like they did not have jurisdiction or even cause for all of this and now both the sheriff dept. and the local PD may end up paying out over this..

I believe the duly elected Sheriff of Hickman County, TN would have these goon out of state deputies sitting in the jail in Centerville if they tried that here.

I would imagine that the local authorities would have jurisdiction or maybe in conjuunction with the US Marshall service, that is, if it were a criminal matter.  Of course, this being a civil matter, I'd think no law enforcement should be involved.

Wow, interesting.   Local authorities with a warrant would have a hard time getting in my door....I'd be reading the fine print, ect.   But somebody claiming to be from CA, I'd also laugh in their face.

This spring a deputy walked up to me at work and asked if I was Ashley P.  I said yes.   He told me that a woman had lost her cell phone and the "locator" pinged it to my property, and "i'm just lettin' you know we're gonna be there looking for it".   I don't think I held a good poker face.  I think he read my expression of "The #%^ you say."   I asked him to repeat the story.   I then said "you can look in the road ditch all you want, but not on my property."

• Like 1

I've done cam changes 2 or 3 times.  I've pulled the engines every time.  Reasons:   cams fail at the mileage where the oil pump pickup tube O ring is weak, and also the rear main seal is weak.  With my cam changes all that gets replaced (and oil pan gasket) so there should be no problems for 10s of thousands of miles.